Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blog Every Day April: 5

I tried this yesterday on LJ and it was epifail, but I think that Blogger will be able to handle it:

Art timeline: Everybody's doing it. :D Here's a timeline of my artistic development!! I think I have everything in the proper order. So let's start our journey with:

The Precambrian


The backstory from one of twelve main characters in one of my first stories--a Chinese-Zodiac inspired action comic. I don't even know, she had a trauma!! or something. @__@


This I remember. I knew my skills weren't where they had to be, so I decided to learn by just making page after finished page and improving each step in the process by doing them all with each page. That lasted, oh, a week. :P

2003


Ahaha, ahahahahaha. Oh God, Marja. My first finished story, for the RSoM 2 contest. Poor editors.

2004


Comic for Felicia's birthday, junior year I think (??).


RSoM 3 entry 'Revenge'...Word balloons are extremely important. Faces? Not so much.

2005

Comic for the school paper, junior year of high school.


RSoM 4 entry, Island Story.

2006

Period where I made as many short stories as possible to practice storytelling:


Hannah's Story


Untitled?


The Dream


RSoM 6 entry, Bridging the Gap. If Tokyopop ever helped a starry-eyed would-be mangaka, they helped me by forcing me to tell a complete story in 20 pages. That and getting me off my ass to draw a story every time they held a contest.

2007

Tried my hand again at webcomics with The College Life, freshman year of college.


A page for my Companion pitch to Tokyopop. Guess how that went!


My submission for the Missed Connections anthology, Bump. Also an unsuccessful attempt. Not bitter! Haha! Smiles-times! There will be other opportunities. :)

2008
The year of Jamie Rich! Two projects he graciously invited me into that helped me learn the industry and improve my art:

From Love the Way You Love: To See The Lights


From Julie Christie!, forthcoming, I swear...! Any week now...! A first attempt at full-color comics, for better or worse.

2009

A Room of One's Own, a longer story than I'm used to (32 pages), and a more serious/emo tone that usual.

Out of Place through the years...
2004

Chapter one: Just learning my tools and hoping I'm doing things in some semblance of the correct manner.

2005

Chapter two: deciding to step up the art at the cost of updating on time every time.


Chapter 3: Oh gee, I should write this plot out in its entirety...May be time to, I don't know, foreshadow or something.

2006

Chapter 4: Fake ending #1! Thought I would end the webcomic with chapter 4, so even though the plot was just getting started, I made a closing scene.

2007

Just kidding! Decided that I wanted to draw Out of Place, but I didn't want to update onesy-twosey with pages each week and instead draw a chapter at a time. Commence chapter 5: an experiment in storytelling and printing! I sold this around Portland as a minicomic. I used Comicworks for the first time on chapter 5, and toned the entire story in that program.

2008

Chapter 6: Picked up by Wirepop.com, I had new motivation to improve the story and art. The story went through a huge rewrite and I repurposed the overall mood. The result was an inconsistent first 6 chapters, but a better path for the future.

2010
???

No comments: