Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Love From The Depths

I LOVE Tomihiro Hoshino's haiku and illustrations. My high school Japanese teacher showed me some of his work, and I always meant to go back and learn more about him. I got to incorporate his art and poetry into my paper for disabilities class on artists with acquired disabilities or impairments (he was paralyzed from the neck down while teaching gymnastics), and had an excuse to read Clocks of Different Paces, one of his many books. So good!


Two beans rather than just one.
Two people rather than just one.
I think that is surely more natural.
I eat green soybeans side by side with my wife.

A spear flower bears little red berries among dry grass in the shadow of the bank.
And those red berries can't be created by the big tree towering next to it.
Nor even the human beings who went out into space.

Also, if I was at this concert, I'd be going significantly more crazy than this audience:

1 comment:

kevin said...

I have clocks of different paces and it such an amazing book. The book is signed by the translators and a first edition. I am looking to sell it if you know anyone who is interested.